History

The Faculty of Informatics has its roots in the Institute of Mathematics of the Kossuth Lajos University of Arts and Sciences.

Professor Béla Gyires initiated the introduction of teaching Computing Science at the university. In 1967 the Institute of Mathematics received a type ODRA-1013 computer made in Poland, then in 1971, a type ODRA-1204 computer was installed in the Computing Centre, which was set up within the Institute of Mathematics and whose manager was Pál Jékel. In the academic year of 1972/73 the university started the training of programming mathematicians who majored in Programming and Information Technology. The Computing Centre trained the first IT teachers. The increasing number of IT students justified the establishment of a department teaching theoretical knowledge, consequently in 1973 the Department of Computing Science was established. It was managed by Andor Kertész and Ernő Gesztelyi. There was a significant development in 1976 when the Computing Centre got a type R-30 (ESZR-1030) computer which was compatible with IBM-360/40-50. Ten years later an R-55M (ESZR-1055M) computer which was compatible with IBM-370 was installed in the Computing Centre, which was moved to the reconstructed University Church.

The basic tasks of the Computing Centre included the support of university education and the establishment of the financial, economic and registration system of the university, which was carried out together with the economic management of the Kossuth Lajos University of Arts and Sciences. Besides their basic service tasks, the staff of the Computing Centre had been involved in the educational activities of the Institute of Mathematics since the 1970s. By the late 1980s it became impossible to carry out all these tasks due to the increasing number of students and the change of activities done by the Computing Centre. In 1991 six colleagues were assigned to teaching positions, and together with some other colleagues who had been working in other departments they established the Department of Applied Informatics, whose manager was Mátyás Arató. This department existed for one year due to the structural change of the Institute of Mathematics. A new department which was responsible for basic IT courses was formed in 1994. First it was called the Department of Information Systems, later it was renamed as the Department of Information Technology. The Institute of Mathematics admitted the significance and equality of the education and research in the field of Informatics and in 1992 the institute was renamed as the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics.

In April 2003 the Institute of Informatics, which was independent of the Faculty of Sciences, was formed.

The Institute of Informatics consisted of the following departments

  • Applied Mathematics and Probability Theory
  • Information Technology
  • Computer Graphics and Library Information Science
  • Computer Science

Information Systems and Networks: this department was established at the same time as the Institute of Informatics. It trains BSc and MSc students and carries out research work closely connected with education.

The following majors were taught at the Institute of Informatics

  • Programming Mathematics
  • Computer Science
  • IT Teacher
  • Library and Information Science
  • Library and Information Science (minor)
  • Post-graduate IT Teacher

The Faculty of Informatics was established in its present form in 2004 on the basis of the Government Decree 218/2004. (VII. 19.) 2. §, which modified the Government Decree 209/1999. (XII. 26.), and which specified the faculties of the institutions of higher education. In this decree the Faculty of Informatics of the University of Debrecen was also enumerated.

In August 2011 the Faculty moved into a new building, which was an important event in the life of the Faculty. The modern building of the 21st century makes it possible for us to carry out our educational and research work in up-to-date conditions.

The Deans of the Faculty

  • 1st September 2004 – 30th June 2010
    • Prof. Dr. Pethő Attila
  • 1st July 2010 – 30th June 2013
    • Prof. Dr. Terdik György
  • 1st July 2013 – present
    • Dr. Mihálydeák Tamás

Updated: 2018.01.07.